Monday 16 September 2013

The Power of Goal Setting

Goals are very important in life. Having them gives us a clear picture of what we want to achieve in our lifetime. Everyone is very different, with different likes, dislikes, tastes, etc. One thing that we all have in common is that we should set clear goals/objectives for ourselves with a framework of how we will achieve them.

Only 5% of people set goals for themselves. The majority go day to day lost in a fog of doing what they have to do to survive, or what they are expected to do by their family, friends and colleagues. I know that as a young man I was determined to take on the world filled with idealistic dreams of getting into International Business and seeing the world. I felt that I could make a difference and change the world into a better place for all. I was wrong, and my career was caught in a fog of disillusionment. I did not really set any goals for myself, other then I wanted to see the world and change things. No framework, no plan, nothing. I was destined to fail.

Only in the past 6 months have I come to realize that I needed to make some serious changes to the direction my life was going. I needed a plan to get out of the rut that I was in. Working day after day without clarity as to how I was going to achieve my career objectives wasn't working. I am currently employed as a salesperson in the customs and logistics industry in Toronto. Competition is fierce, and our services are very much the same across the board. Companies in my industry have little patience when it comes to salespeople. They hire on the premise of sink or swim. Using terms like self-starter, independent, hunter, energetic, intelligent, experienced, the list goes on and on. They churn through individuals like a meat-grinder. In 15 years of being in sales I have yet to work for a company that truly supports my goals and objectives. It is all about the corporation and numbers. No framework as to how to get there, no support, no help, nothing, just a toss into the deep end with the hope you can swim and fend for yourself in a pool filled with sharks. Its a tough environment, and while I understand sales is all about numbers, there has to be a backbone there to help salespeople not just survive, but to succeed and flourish.

In sales you have a target or a goal. In my case it is 250k net profit a year. That is my sales goal. How do I get there though? I want to make my target, get commission, and at the end of the day, keep my job. Without some kind of road map or a plan it is like an elusive carrot. As of recently, I have set goals and a framework for myself. The thing is, they do not align with the corporations goals, thus I have found it extremely hard to survive and be happy in what I am doing. I suspect many are in this same position.

As an Entrepreneur, I have found that setting goals for myself personally, and aligning them with my career goals have been one of the most rewarding and fulfilling experiences for me. It has truly helped me to not only become more focused, but it has given me a positive enlightenment in my life.

Here are some suggestions I would like to pass on to you regarding the power of goal setting:

Let the past go.  Out of all the things that we do in our life, this is one of the most important suggestions I can give you. We all have regrets from our past, things we did that we are not proud of. The thing is, they make up who we are. You learn from your past experiences, what worked and what didn't. Take that knowledge and move on. Living in the past with regrets, feeling sorry for yourself and blaming others for the path you have chosen is not going to help you. Emotionally and spiritually you need to move on, look to the future, and let the past go. You will be better for it.

Stay Positive. This is key. Studies show that positive people are not only more successful in life, but healthier as well. It is a mindset and being optimistic about what you want to achieve is very powerful. If you are a half empty kind of person who always views things through a pessimistic eye, then you need to seriously consider changing that outlook.

Be Honest and Ethical. While we all want to achieve our goals, the journey we chose to get there should be the right one. Being genuine and truthful with yourself and with others shines through. Your clients can really see when you are being honest, and they do appreciate it. While you may be tempted to take short-cuts and the easy way to success, you really need to consider how that will make you feel afterwards. Lying, cheating, and/or casting ethics aside to get that goal is not something that will fulfil your spirit in the long run. My advise to you is to be honest with yourself and to consider the effect on others with the decisions you make.

Confidence in yourself. This is a another element that is often overlooked. I know for me, it is something that I sometimes struggle with. It starts at home when you are a child. Your parents give you positive (hopefully they do) reinforcement and encouragement. Then as you progress through your life, teachers, coaches, Scout leaders, friends, family, and colleagues all either build that confidence up, or they chip away at it. Like a rock that is cracked you stand as an adult in mid life wondering what happened. For me, it was two things that really caused the cracks. One was a guidance councillor in high school. I can remember being in his office and the things he said. A few months before I was ready to graduate and go off to college or university he told me he didn't think I was cut out for it and that I should consider a "Joe" job, something menial and unfulfilling. What right did he have taking my hopes and dreams away? The second time was a sales manager who took away my confidence, and who also jaded me into an individual forever paranoid when a manager tells me we need to talk. I know we have all had these occurrences in some shape or form. You need to forget about them and move on. It is only one person's opinion of you. No one has the right to take your confidence away, never forget that!

Avoid Negative People.  They are out there, and the old saying that "misery loves company" is very true. These people are the ones who are always negative and miserable. Cast into the pit of cynicism and doubt, there is little hope for them. Like a black hole sucking everything into it, steer clear of it. Best advise here is to avoid these people, or at the very least minimise your contact with them. While we do love our family, they can sometimes be our biggest threat. Sorry to say, but if your parents or family do not support you and what your goals are, then what needs to happen is a conversation with them asking them to understand what you are trying to do. If your friends are always negative with you, then maybe it is high time for some new friends?

Put your goals on paper. This is the most important piece of advise. Visualising your goals is extremely powerful I have found. You can do this several ways, but works best for me is putting them up where I can see them. I use an eraser board and I have them sitting beside my desk keeping me focused and on track. Any time I feel a lack of energy, or if I am having a bad day I look at them, I read them and I refocus and recharge myself. You need to put pen to paper in this instance. It is one thing to have them in your mind, but an entirely different thing to always having your goals laid out in front of you. Trust me, it works!

Ask yourself this, are you happy with what you have achieved in life? Do you still have a list of things that you would like to see happen? Is the fog getting too much for you to bare? Setting goals for what you want to achieve is part of the recipe for a good and fulfilling life. I think it is time you started setting those goals and using the advise I have given above. Good luck!











No comments:

Post a Comment